FROM THE BLOG:
How Do I Care For And Maintain My Oriental Rug?
We recommend the following:
- Using a dry cloth to blot up liquid stains and if necessary using small amounts of cool water or club soda.
- DO NOT use chemical cleaners to spot clean.
- Thou shalt never steam clean.
- Have your rug professionally cleaned every 1- 3 years for general maintenance. It helps to loosen and clean away the dust that can grind away at the fibers in the rug’s foundation.
- It is a good idea to rotate your rug when it is being installed after cleaning. This way the traffic patterns will wear evenly and any sun fading will occur evenly. This will increase the life of your rug and helps to maintain its value.
Pay attention to the outer edges of the rug including the fringes. These are the most common areas to show wear from traffic and vacuuming. It is important to have any damaged areas of the rug repaired as they occur in order to maintain the quality of your rug. Taking immediate action will prevent further damage to the rug, which can happen quickly to the weakened areas. Also, using a carpet sweeper or broom on an older, more fragile rug instead of a vacuum will help prevent further wear. We offer specialized, full submersion, hand cleaning of all types of Oriental rugs. For more information on these services check out our cleaning page. As always, give us a call at 205-244-1933 or shoot us an email if you have any questions.
ABOUT ORIENTAL RUG EXPERT CHRISTIN TERRELL
“Each rug has a story.” To Christin Terrell, it’s more than just a clever line—it’s the reason she comes into work every day. Because where the rest of us just see rich, beautiful colors and intricate patterns, Christin sees every superstition, every ancient custom, and every silent prayer woven into the rugs of King’s House. The beauty of their origins is what Christin loves most about our rugs: “Immersing yourself in the where, the who, and the why … I can’t imagine anything more beautiful.”
The King’s House buying experience goes well beyond simply rolling up a rug and sending you on your way. After all, an Oriental rug is an investment and an heirloom work of art. First, we offer complimentary consultations by appointment: that way, we can help you find the perfect rug for your home and lifestyle, based on architecture, furnishings, measurements—and, of course, the style you’re seeking. Plus, we also allow our local clients to take rugs on approval before making their final purchase decision, including free delivery and installation of the rug in your home.
King’s House is also proud to offer USPAP-certified appraisals, specialized rug cleaning, repair, and museum-quality restorations in Birmingham, Alabama. We welcome inquiries from out of state clients as well. Give us a call at 205-244-1933 or send us an email.